"aggregate congregate" what is the difference
l***@hotmail.com
2005-09-01 16:46:04 UTC
The dictionary does not give me clear idea what is the difference
between these 2 words. But it seems to me there is sort of difference.

Could you give me a hint?

Thanks.
Horace LaBadie
2005-09-01 17:12:04 UTC
Post by l***@hotmail.com
Hi,
The dictionary does not give me clear idea what is the difference
between these 2 words. But it seems to me there is sort of difference.
Could you give me a hint?
Thanks.
Living things congregate. Inanimate objects aggregate.

HWL
Peter T. Daniels
2005-09-02 03:58:10 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by l***@hotmail.com
Hi,
The dictionary does not give me clear idea what is the difference
between these 2 words. But it seems to me there is sort of difference.
Could you give me a hint?
Thanks.
Living things congregate. Inanimate objects aggregate.
Aggregate is rare, congregate is common.
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
John Lawler
2005-09-02 12:17:56 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by l***@hotmail.com
The dictionary does not give me clear idea what is the difference
between these 2 words. But it seems to me there is sort of difference.
Could you give me a hint?
Living things congregate. Inanimate objects aggregate.
That's the primary meaning difference between the verbs. There are also
differences in usages, pronunciation, and derivation as well.

The verbs are both stressed on the first syllable, with a secondary stress
on the last syllable, which is therefore pronounced /geyt/. The derived
noun 'aggregate', on the other hand, has an unstressed final syllable, so
it's pronounced /***@t/. The noun is also used as an adjective (or else it's
a derived adjective used also as a noun; you pays your money and you takes
your choice), and it's pretty common in both uses, often with special
senses:

Add the aggregate right after the rebar is positioned.
[= concrete sp.]
The aggregate sum of the receipts will be posted tomorrow.
[= total]

There is no similar noun(~adjective) 'congregate', by contrast;

*He spoke seriously to the congregate.
*The congregate sum of parishioners is 2,506.

There *is* a derived noun 'congregation', which refers either to a cluster
of people (by convention, the members of a particular church or the audience
at a particular religious service) or the act of congregating. And also
'aggregation', which refers similarly to a cluster of things or the act of
aggregating.

Since the normal subject of 'congregate' is human, it doesn't have a
causative, while 'aggregate' does:

*Mr. Smith congregated the worshippers in the sacristy.
Mr. Smith aggregated the hymnals together in one cabinet.

As Peter points out elsethread, the verb 'congregate' is pretty common,
while 'aggregate' is rarer. There's another use of the verb 'aggregate'
that I've heard, though, which gets mixed up (or blended, or eggcorned)
with 'arrogate':

The President has aggregated those powers to himself.

So there's a few differences.
No doubt there are more.
There always are.

-John Lawler www.umich.edu/~jlawler Michigan Linguistics
"A linguist deaf to the poetic functions of language and
a literary scholar indifferent to linguistics are equally
flagrant anachronisms." -- Roman Jakobson
Peter T. Daniels
2005-09-02 12:30:43 UTC
Post by John Lawler
As Peter points out elsethread, the verb 'congregate' is pretty common,
while 'aggregate' is rarer. There's another use of the verb 'aggregate'
that I've heard, though, which gets mixed up (or blended, or eggcorned)
The President has aggregated those powers to himself.
Oy.

Is that the same president who's always disassembling?
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
John Lawler
2005-09-02 12:38:33 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by John Lawler
As Peter points out elsethread, the verb 'congregate' is pretty common,
while 'aggregate' is rarer. There's another use of the verb 'aggregate'
that I've heard, though, which gets mixed up (or blended, or eggcorned)
The President has aggregated those powers to himself.
Oy.
Is that the same president who's always disassembling?
Subliminably.

-John Lawler www.umich.edu/~jlawler Univ of Michigan Linguistics Dept
"Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful.
Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good." -Lao Tzu
s***@yahoo.co.uk
2005-09-04 12:01:39 UTC
Post by l***@hotmail.com
Hi,
The dictionary does not give me clear idea what is the difference
between these 2 words. But it seems to me there is sort of difference.
_conregate_ is volitional: it suggests that the the things which move
together do so through free will and choice. _huddle_ has a similar
meaning.

(1) _The sheep congregated/huddled in the middle of the field._

_aggregate_ is non-volitional: is suggests the idea that the things
that move together do so due to some outside influence, such as the
mechanistic laws of physics:

(2) _The protein aggregated on the inside of the test-tube._

This distinction is just a broad tendency, not absolutely clear-cut. I
would naturally say:

(3) _The peasants' houses congregated around the walls of the castle._

I might also use _huddled_ or _clustered_ in (3), but _aggregated_
would sound strange. I suspect that in this mental image, I am
picturing houses as seeming to have consciousness.

All four verbs (_congregate_, _huddle_, _cluster_ and _aggregate_) can
all be used as passives: I would be happy to use _were congragated_,
_were huddled_ or _were clustered_ in (3) and _was aggregated_ in (2).

I think that it is rare, and that it would sound strange, to use any of
these verbs as transitives. Perhaps _aggregate_ might be used as a
transitive:

_I aggregated all the pieces together._

but I'm not sure that this sounds right. Overall, I think it's best to
use all four verbs only as intransitives.

Samuel