IN ORISSA, A VILLAGE OF SANSKRIT PUNDITS
and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
2010-04-13 07:14:21 UTC
In Orissa, a village of Sanskrit pundits

PTI
Rediff
April 6, 2010

Sanskrit may have ceased to be spoken by people, but there is a
remote village in this coastal district of Orissa where every home
has a pundit of the ancient language.

Sasana village in the Shyamsundar gram panchayat area is almost an
anachronism in today's culture which no longer takes pride in
mastering the language which, along with Latin, was once the two most
dominant languages in the world.

The village, inhabited almost fully by Brahmins, has a little over 32
households with 200-odd members. In all the households one will come
across Sanskrit pundits employed in government-run Sanskrit-medium
educational institutions.

"We are proud patrons of Sanskrit. The ancient language is very much
alive at the village, 76-year-old Baishnav Charan Pati, a Sanskrit
pundit who has retired from his teaching job, said.

Pati said that they made sure for generations that at least one child
in every household had been taught in the Sanskrit medium of
education.

"Most of the Sanskrit-educated residents have found employment either
in government schools or have taken up career as priests to preside
over Hindu ceremonies,'' Pati said.

Take the case of Pundit Trilochan Sadangi. Both his sons and daughter
are Sanskrit-educated and are teaching the language in government-run
schools.

"By encouraging our children to learn Sanskrit, we are trying to
revive the language. We are largely successful till now and we
earnestly hope that our future generations will keep the tradition
alive,'' Pati said with a tinge of pride.

The village's fascination for Sanskrit has not come from the blue,
but rather flowed from its rich tradition in Sanskrit learning.

A nearby village Babkarpur has the presence of a miniature temple
dedicated to the great poet Kalidasa, author of 'Abhigyana
Shakuntalam' and many other classics, which tells eloquently of the
region's love for the things Sanskrit.

Tags: Pati, Sanskrit, Abhigyana Shakuntalam, Trilochan Sadangi,
Babkarpur

More at:
http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/apr/06/a-village-of-sanskrit-pundits-in-orissa.htm

Courtesy of S. Kalyanaraman

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.
Franz Gnaedinger
2010-04-13 07:51:52 UTC
Jay Stevens alias Dr. Jai Maharaj, adorning his false name
with a false title, pretends to engage himself for the Hindu
community while all he cares for is the money he makes
via his astrological enterprise, fishing for Hindu clients,
because the Hindi are numerous, and especially prone
to superstition, he believes. A sociopath fools people
about his intentions while pursuing his own interests.
Jay Stevens alias Dr. Jai Maharaj is a classical sociopath.
He believes that he found the almost perfect scheme of
turning even child abuse into money. And he most freely
abuses our scientific forum of sci.lang. He is now leading
his second long-time attack on our scientific forum, more
aggressively than ever. Must have to do with the approaching
year 2012 that makes astrologers crazy and creep out of
their holes: another magic year to freighten people and thus
make money!
and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)

h***@indero.com
2010-04-13 18:12:01 UTC
Jay stevens,aka dr. jai etc. claims to have several languages of india
in addition to his demonstrated english. This includes having grown up
where sanskrit was in daily domestic use.

But when asked to recieve a call from a real indian he refuses least his
lies become instantly known.

From time to time he trots out this kind of story so as to add seeming
reality to his language claims.
Franz Gnaedinger
2010-04-13 18:18:12 UTC

make money!
Ramblin Durbar
2010-08-03 21:54:51 UTC
五威司命司禮監諸將皆爭附兩人非負太守。

丁、傅 。 渾邪王居遠近,數褒賞甚厚!

」宰請降敕責之曰:「天子 至孝肅慎,先『克膽俊德烈烈。
and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
2010-08-10 08:00:40 UTC
Forwarded message from S. Kalyanaraman

World Association for Vedic Studies (WAVES) holds a successful Eighth
International Conference in Port of Spain

Monday, August 9, 2010

(PRWEB) August 9, 2010

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2010/08/07/3803474/gI_0_rambachan.jpg

Dr. Suruj Rambachan, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Trinidad & Tobago

"Ayurved is an affordable, accessible, non-invasive medicine system"
- Ambassador Malay Mishra

World Association for Vedic Studies (WAVES) holds a successful Eighth
International Conference in Port of Spain, Trinidad-Tobago from
August 4 to August 7, 2010, with the co-sponsorship and support of a
number of organizations in Trinidad-Tobago(TT), the Indian High
Commission to Trinidad, Saraswati Mandiram of Trinidad, National
Council for Indian Culture and the University of West Indies, was
inaugurated by Dr. Suraj Ratan Rambachan, TT Minister for Foreign
Affairs, and the Indian High Commissioner to TT, Malay Mishra. Mr.
Mishra also welcomed the scholars participating in this WAVES
Conference to a banquet which was graced by the First President of
TT, His Highness Sir Ellis Clarke, Mr. Tim Gopi Singh, TT Minister of
Education, and other dignitaries from the Trinidad and Tobago
Government.

Working in close collaboration with WAVES 2010 was the First
International Conference on Ayurveda organized by the Indian High
Commission, in coordination with the Mahatma Gandhi Institute and the
University of West Indies, Mt. Hope Campus. The Ayurveda Conference
had participation from experts from various parts of the world
including India, and deliberated on Ayurveda as an Alternative
Medicine System.

Malay Mishra explained the link between Ayurveda and Vedic knowledge,
and announced that the Government of India is offering scholarships
for students from TT for a five and half year graduate degree in
Ayurvedic Medicine in India. Discussions elaborated the prospects for
promoting Wellness Tourism in TT and building up Ayurvedic resorts
and protection of vast array of Herbal medicinal plants in the
rainforests of the twin islands of TT.

"Ayurveda is an affordable, accessible, non-invasive medicine system"
said Mr. Mishra. On behalf of the Government of India, he offered
support in promoting Ayurveda education and treatment in TT. TT,
which in itself is a microcosm of a multicultural society that got
its Indian component since 30 May 1845, when the first group of
migrants from India landed on TT shores. Dr. Dyre Narinesingh, Acting
Principal of the University of West Indies presented the perspective
of TT on Ayurveda and the strategic importance of facilitating the
teaching and practice of Ayurveda in the unique regional University
systems of TT.

Dr. Bal Ram Singh, Conference Chair of WAVES 2010, explained the
nature of Ayurveda as a holistic science and announced the three
tracks of sessions in WAVES 2010: Academic, Practicing Scholars and
Youth tracks, to herald the importance of Vedic knowledge for
civilizational harmony and relevance for youth of present and future
generations. Mr. Chandra Mohan Bhandari, a retire who has served as
an Indian Ambassador to various countries, spoke of the Manas Kand of
Skanda Puran which offered detailed information on the Himalayan
glacier of Manasarovar.

The Conference was lauded by Mr. Tim Gopi Singh, TT Minister of
Education, who conveyed the greetings of the TT Government to WAVES
delegates, who were from many parts of the world including India,
Belarus, US, Canada and Greece. Prof. Subhash Kak highlighted the
antiquity of the Sarasvati Civilization, and the core meaning of the
Vedas as related to self-experience, and the linking of the microcosm
and macrocosm, thus reinforcing the essential unity of the globe.
Vedic Yajna was discussed as a journey of self-transformation and
self-discovery, and the scientific information conveyed in the Vedic
knowledge was discussed.

Dr. Suraj Ratan Rambachan, TT Minister of Foreign Affairs, delivered
the keynote address at Diwali Nagar of NCIC, and underscored that
there could be no clashes of civilizations in a global society when
governed by the Vedic precept of Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam. HE Malay
Mishra spoke of the unity of religion and culture in all societies
and commended the institution of Ministry of Multiculturalism in TT.
He mentioned that the Vedic message was very relevant for the present
day; so was the recognition that ‘Manava seva was madhava seva’.
(service to people is service to the supreme divine), a recognition
of the divine in all human beings.

The proceedings of WAVES 2010 in the three tracks got off to a start
with a Vedic invocation and performance of Yajna in the premises of
St. Augustine campus of the University of West Indies. The Yajna was
a demonstration of the essential continuity of Vedic tradition as a
living tradition for over 5 millennia, and offering of prayers for
the welfare of the global village that the globe has become. Over 100
scholars of Vedic studies and practicing Vedic scholars participating
in WAVES 2010 covered a variety of topics related to the evolution of
languages and cultures since Vedic times, the validation of Vedic
wisdom by a number of scientific disciplines such as genetics,
biology, neurosciences and consciousness studies. The central theme
was the significance of Vedic knowledge for civilizational harmony
and continued relevance of Vedic traditions for present times.

With the assistance of the Ministry of Tourism and the Trinidad and
Tobago Convention Bureau, the WAVES delegates went on a tour of
Trinidad Island, exposing them to the cultural microcosm that TT is.
This tour spotlighted the historical sites of TT, and the delegates
were delighted to be able to visit a harmonious multi-cultural
society cherishing Vedic values for centuries.

Professor Clement Sankat, Principal of Univ. of West Indies, through
his office, welcomed the WAVES 2010 delegates at a banquet and
offered his felicitations.

Sashi Kejriwal, President of WAVES, thanked the citizens of TT, the
representatives of the TT Government and University of West Indies
for the hospitality and support extended to the Conference. Scholars
who participated in the Conference included: David Frawley, Jeffrey
Armstrong, Rajiv Malhotra, Sethuraman Rammohan, Subhash Kak, S.
Kalyanaraman, Nicholas Kazanas, Oleg Perzashkevich, Kalidas Shetty,
Ved Nanda, Sampadananda Mishra, Kaushal Vepa, Shekhar Sastri, Sampada
Savardekar. There were presentations in the Youth section by Eshan
Kejriwal, Arnav Kejriwal and Kavita Pallod.

Four awards were presented by WAVES Board of Directors to the Hindu
American Foundation(HAF), Nicholas Kazanas, Rajiv Malhotra and Bal
Ram Singh for excellence in areas of serving the cause of Vedic
values, best contribution to Vedic studies by a scholar, lifetime
achievement for Vedic studies causes and for distinguished service to
WAVES, respectively.

Awards for community service in the preservation of the Vedic
Tradition in TT were given to Mr. Satnarayan Maharaj, General
Secretary of the Sanatan Mahasabha, Dr. Ramdath Ramkissoon, President
of Saraswati Mandiram of Trinidad and Tobago, and Professor Hari
Shanker Adesh, Director General, Bharatiya Vidya Sansthhaan.

In several sessions the conference addressed some of the major
challenges facing the world today, such as the ongoing religious and
ethnic conflicts, economic downturn, environmental degradation, and
violations of human rights, and presented the applicable Vedic
principles to provide effective solutions to these problems.

Swami Jyotirmayananda, a regular WAVES attendee, observed that this
is the best conference among the five he has attended in the past,
referring to the various academic panels, presentation by youth and
by practicing Vedic scholars, and the various tours, banquets and
cultural programs that accompanied the Conference.

S. Kalyanaraman, Member of Board of Directors of WAVES.

End of forwarded message from S. Kalyanaraman