Native American language question?
Add Reply
Daud Deden
2018-09-23 03:03:09 UTC
Good brief on smoking pipe names.
DKleinecke
2018-09-23 04:18:50 UTC
Post by Daud Deden
Good brief on smoking pipe names.
Posters to sci.lang in 1995 sure were amateurish.

Example - no mention of SIL.

PS: Not Catherine Callahan's fault. She is(?) the real thing.
I remember her and she might even remember me if she is still
with us.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-09-23 07:44:26 UTC
Post by DKleinecke
Post by Daud Deden
Good brief on smoking pipe names.
Posters to sci.lang in 1995 sure were amateurish.
Example - no mention of SIL.
PS: Not Catherine Callahan's fault. She is(?) the real thing.
I remember her and she might even remember me if she is still
with us.
According to Wikipedia she is still alive (born 1931, so a slip of a
girl compared with you).
athel
Daud Deden
2018-09-23 08:22:43 UTC
What is the Native American word for "pipe"? I know there are many
different languages, but I can't find any info on any tribe or culture.
The closest thing I've found is "calumet", but that was a French
application. Also, why are there no Native American Language books out
there?? Thanks for your help.
Be Kind,
Kevin
Cree: ospwa:kan
Ojibwa: oppwa:kan
Meskwakie: ohpwa:kana
Delaware: hupo:kkan
Penobscot: wtamvkan
Dakota: canduhupa
Winnebago: ta:nihu
Catawba: wamiso
tan/-kan/can-/kini.kinik(gene.)
hupa/-hu/hupo/oppwa/o(h/s)pwa ?
wam/wtam/wakan spiritual ***@OE
Daud Deden
2018-09-23 08:37:58 UTC
|> What is the Native American word for "pipe"? I know there are many
|> different languages, but I can't find any info on any tribe or culture.
|> The closest thing I've found is "calumet", but that was a French
|> application. Also, why are there no Native American Language books out
|> there?? Thanks for your help.
In Omaha-Ponca, the word is ni~'ni~ba; in Dakotan c^hanu~'pa. These
are both Siouan languages, but there isn't any simple reconstruction
of pipe for Proto-Siouan, in part because there seems to have been a
lot of inter-(language) family borrowing of terms for tobacco and
pipe. The -(i)ba part of the OP term and the u~pa part of the
Dakotan term have fairly wide spread resemblants in North America.
My understanding is that tobacco smoking was introduced from South
America, along with domestic (South American) tobaccos at a very
early date.
Yes, but many other plant leaves contain phytochemicals released when macerated or burned (nicotine, caffeine, cocaine, opium etc) as anti-insect defenses, fire-technology went hand-in-hand with non-food usage. Smoking was done in Old World before Beringian trek.

Iba/upa~ wamba/womb/ember/embryo
There are lots of books on native American languages, including good
(and bad) dictionaries. You just need to get to a good enough
library or bookstore.
Key: V~ (nasal V), V' (accented/high pitch V), c^ (tS, represented
as c-hacek), CH (aspirated C).
----
Disclaimer: Views and recommendations, express or implied, are my own, and
do not reflect the opinion or policy of my employers.
Daud Deden
2018-09-23 08:49:51 UTC
Post by Daud Deden
|> What is the Native American word for "pipe"? I know there are many
|> different languages, but I can't find any info on any tribe or culture.
|> The closest thing I've found is "calumet", but that was a French
|> application. Also, why are there no Native American Language books out
|> there?? Thanks for your help.
In Omaha-Ponca, the word is ni~'ni~ba; in Dakotan c^hanu~'pa. These
are both Siouan languages, but there isn't any simple reconstruction
of pipe for Proto-Siouan, in part because there seems to have been a
lot of inter-(language) family borrowing of terms for tobacco and
pipe. The -(i)ba part of the OP term and the u~pa part of the
Dakotan term have fairly wide spread resemblants in North America.
My understanding is that tobacco smoking was introduced from South
America, along with domestic (South American) tobaccos at a very
early date.
Yes, but many other plant leaves contain phytochemicals released when macerated or burned (nicotine, caffeine, cocaine, opium etc) as anti-insect defenses, fire-technology went hand-in-hand with non-food usage. Smoking was done in Old World before Beringian trek.
Iba/upa~ wamba/womb/ember/embryo
Xyuambua sieve/break into small pieces-particles Kindle/kinder, shower, swab