Finnish mäyrä "badger" ?
Arnaud Fournet
2018-09-09 17:17:30 UTC
What are the Uralic cognates of Finnish mäyrä "badger" ?

Thanks.
Mścisław Wojna-Bojewski
2018-09-10 06:06:56 UTC
Why exactly don't you look it up in dictionaries?
Arnaud Fournet
2018-09-10 06:32:04 UTC
I'm grateful if you provide a reference that you deem reliable.
António Marques
2018-09-10 07:30:24 UTC
Post by Arnaud Fournet
What are the Uralic cognates of Finnish mäyrä "badger" ?
Thanks.
Why exactly don't you look it up in dictionaries?
I'm grateful if you provide a reference that you deem reliable.
Just what does your gratitude translate to? I seem to recall a history of
unexplained abuse towards pretty much everyone.
Mścisław Wojna-Bojewski
Let him extend his gratitude to gnä' Franz.
Arnaud Fournet
2018-09-10 11:23:12 UTC
Post by Arnaud Fournet
What are the Uralic cognates of Finnish mäyrä "badger" ?
Thanks.
Why exactly don't you look it up in dictionaries?
I'm grateful if you provide a reference that you deem reliable.
Just what does your gratitude translate to? I seem to recall a history of
unexplained abuse towards pretty much everyone.
** unexplained ** ???
LOL
António Marques
2018-09-10 11:41:37 UTC
Post by Arnaud Fournet
Post by Arnaud Fournet
What are the Uralic cognates of Finnish mäyrä "badger" ?
Thanks.
Why exactly don't you look it up in dictionaries?
I'm grateful if you provide a reference that you deem reliable.
Just what does your gratitude translate to? I seem to recall a history of
unexplained abuse towards pretty much everyone.
** unexplained ** ???
Yes. Perhaps you’re not aware of it, but abuse is the last line of dialogue
in a civilised society, in practice a substitute for smacking.
Things may be different in your country, but we’ve had people from there
here on occasion, and they did not display any similar quickness to
attempted insult.
Arnaud Fournet
As far as awareness is concerned, has it come to you that you might deserve it ?
António Marques
Who doesn’t, according to you?
Ruud Harmsen
2018-09-10 13:15:52 UTC
Mon, 10 Sep 2018 06:02:41 -0700 (PDT): Arnaud Fournet
Post by Arnaud Fournet
Yes. Perhaps you’re not aware of it, but abuse is the last line of dialogue
in a civilised society, in practice a substitute for smacking.
Things may be different in your country, but we’ve had people from there
here on occasion, and they did not display any similar quickness to
attempted insult.
As far as awareness is concerned, has it come to you that you might deserve it ?
Nobody deserves being treated like you treat people. It's a disgrace.
It's just that by now we know how completely crazy you are, so we
ignore it.

You seem to be unaware of this yourself. That fits in the overall
picture.
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
Ruud Harmsen
2018-09-10 13:14:08 UTC
Mon, 10 Sep 2018 11:41:37 -0000 (UTC): António Marques
Post by Arnaud Fournet
Post by Arnaud Fournet
What are the Uralic cognates of Finnish mäyrä "badger" ?
Thanks.
Why exactly don't you look it up in dictionaries?
I'm grateful if you provide a reference that you deem reliable.
Just what does your gratitude translate to? I seem to recall a history of
unexplained abuse towards pretty much everyone.
** unexplained ** ???
Yes. Perhaps you’re not aware of it, but abuse is the last line of dialogue
in a civilised society, in practice a substitute for smacking.
Things may be different in your country, but we’ve had people from there
here on occasion, and they did not display any similar quickness to
attempted insult.
That's because Arnaud Fournet is a complete lunatic and psychopath
when it comes to internet interaction. Of the worst kind.
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
Ruud Harmsen
2018-09-10 13:12:03 UTC
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/m%C3%A4yr%C3%A4#Etymology
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
Daud Deden
2018-09-10 17:49:45 UTC
"From Proto-Finnic *mäkrä. Cognate with Karelian mäkrä, Estonian mäger and Veps mägr."

No connection to Magyar then?
Ruud Harmsen
2018-09-10 20:47:56 UTC
Mon, 10 Sep 2018 10:49:45 -0700 (PDT): Daud Deden
Post by Daud Deden
"From Proto-Finnic *mäkrä. Cognate with Karelian mäkrä, Estonian mäger and Veps mägr."
No connection to Magyar then?
Scholars do not even agree is Hungarian and Finnish are related. Meny
think so, but there is no reliable proof. The branches are too
distant.
But that seems to be largely bullshit, inspired by nationalistic bias:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_theories_of_the_Hungarian_language_relations#History_of_the_Hungarian_language
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
Daud Deden
2018-09-10 22:47:38 UTC
Post by Daud Deden
"From Proto-Finnic *mäkrä. Cognate with Karelian mäkrä, Estonian mäger and Veps mägr."
No connection to Magyar then?
Who wrote this comment and when?

"Scholars do not even agree is Hungarian and Finnish are related. Meny
think so, but there is no reliable proof. The branches are too
distant."

That comment did not show up here. The branches are side by side, very close IMO. Yukaghir is less close. (Per Ruhlen)
Ruud Harmsen
2018-09-11 06:48:57 UTC
Mon, 10 Sep 2018 15:47:38 -0700 (PDT): Daud Deden
Post by Daud Deden
That comment did not show up here. The branches are side by side, very close IMO.
But hard to prove because Hungarian has a huge number of old loan
words from Turkic, Persian, and Slavic languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_language#Prehistory
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
Ruud Harmsen
Franz Gnaedinger
2018-09-10 07:42:24 UTC
Post by Arnaud Fournet
What are the Uralic cognates of Finnish mäyrä "badger" ?
Karelian has mägry 'badger' which reminds me of Magdalenian MUC for a bull,
used for anything compact, for example Swiss Mocke can refer to a Föifer
Mocke, a round bonbon on a popsickle for five cents, or it can call the
late opera singer Pavarotti, or it can name the motor in a car among
aficionados, or it can be a pet name for a toddler, my sweet chubby child.
Ruud Harmsen
2018-09-10 13:17:17 UTC
Mon, 10 Sep 2018 00:42:24 -0700 (PDT): Franz Gnaedinger
Post by Franz Gnaedinger
Post by Arnaud Fournet
What are the Uralic cognates of Finnish mäyrä "badger" ?
Karelian has mägry 'badger' which reminds me of Magdalenian MUC for a bull,
And it reminds me of bullshit.
Post by Franz Gnaedinger
used for anything compact, for example Swiss Mocke can refer to a Föifer
Mocke, a round bonbon on a popsickle for five cents, or it can call the
late opera singer Pavarotti, or it can name the motor in a car among
aficionados, or it can be a pet name for a toddler, my sweet chubby child.
Swiss German and Karelian are in different language families, so they
cannot have cognates, only (very unlikely) loans.
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
Peter T. Daniels
2018-09-10 19:17:35 UTC
Post by Franz Gnaedinger
Post by Arnaud Fournet
What are the Uralic cognates of Finnish mäyrä "badger" ?
Karelian has mägry 'badger' which reminds me of Magdalenian MUC for a bull,
And it reminds me of bullshit.
Because you need to muck out the barn fairly frequently.
Post by Ruud Harmsen
Post by Franz Gnaedinger
used for anything compact, for example Swiss Mocke can refer to a Föifer
Mocke, a round bonbon on a popsickle for five cents, or it can call the
late opera singer Pavarotti, or it can name the motor in a car among
aficionados, or it can be a pet name for a toddler, my sweet chubby child.
Swiss German and Karelian are in different language families, so they
cannot have cognates, only (very unlikely) loans.
That sentence looks familiar.