Is the language of statesmanship a recognizable register of language and does Trump totally lack it?
s***@gmail.com
2018-09-16 19:23:32 UTC
Churchill's declaration of war on Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_declaration_of_war_on_Japan

can be considered a classic of statesmanship:

"

Sir,

On the evening of December 7th His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom learned that Japanese forces without previous warning either in the form of a declaration of war or of an ultimatum with a conditional declaration of war had attempted a landing on the coast of Malaya and bombed Singapore and Hong Kong.

In view of these wanton acts of unprovoked aggression committed in flagrant violation of International Law and particularly of Article I of the Third Hague Convention relative to the opening of hostilities, to which both Japan and the United Kingdom are parties, His Majesty's Ambassador at Tokyo has been instructed to inform the Imperial Japanese Government in the name of His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom that a state of war exists between our two countries.

I have the honour to be, with high consideration,

Sir,
Your obedient servant,
Winston S. Churchill[1]

"

Trump has said "mother----er" in speeches before he became president, but his presidential language seems only marginally better and expresses a street punk mentality a lot of the time.
Daud Deden
2018-09-17 01:43:41 UTC
Dude, yo, he's New York, don't expect sweetness.