Voynich MS is in Hebrew?
Dr. HotSalt
2018-02-02 05:28:45 UTC
Two computer scientists at the University of Alberta say they believe the Voynich MS is written in Hebrew.

https://www.ualberta.ca/science/science-news/2018/january/ai-used-to-decipher-ancient-manuscript

As part of a project to investigate ambiguities in human language they decided to compare the V MS with samples of 400 different languages into which the Universal Declaration of Human Rights has been translated into.

Their first "guess" was Arabic but they've settled on Hebrew and have published a translation of the first sentence which sort of makes sense:

“She made recommendations to the priest, man of the house and me and people."

They claim the MS in encoded using alphagrams, a technique used to construct puzzles, in which one phrase is defined by another.

As a check they plan to apply the algorithms they have developed on other, already successfully translated ancient texts. They have achieved 97% accuracy on modern texts.

The actual paper can be accessed from here (no paywall):

https://transacl.org/ojs/index.php/tacl/article/view/821

-----

Is it fair to compare alphagrams to the elliptical ways alchemists would describe their recipes- "white feather" to indicate oxide of tin or "yellow flowers" for elemental sulfur, and so forth? (Yes, I still think there's an alchemical connection.)

Dr. HotSalt
Jens Stuckelberger
2018-02-02 15:33:12 UTC
Post by Dr. HotSalt
Two computer scientists at the University of Alberta say they believe
the Voynich MS is written in Hebrew.
For quite some time now, every few years the popular press comes
up with news about breakthroughs concerning the Voynich MS. They tend to
have two features. First, they are incompatible with any (most?)
preceding "breakthroughs"; second, they are all but forgotten after a few
weeks, at best.

Is this going to be any different? Maybe. The truth is that all
these "breakthroughs" remind me of the readings of Egyptian hieroglyphics
that Athanasius Kircher would come up with. There was a lot of
scholarship to them, but also a lot of imagination - and very little of
reality. When it comes to Voynich, I think that we still are in the
Kircher era.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-02-02 17:40:42 UTC
Post by Dr. HotSalt
[...]
Here's a useful newspaper story. General orientation at the beginning, and a
variety of refutations of the new study at the end of the article:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/scientists-claim-to-crack-an-elusive-centuries-old-code-and-its-hebrew/
Daud Deden
2018-02-02 20:30:55 UTC
Post by Dr. HotSalt
[...]
-

A Mayan plumbing manual for gardening housewives?