Are there picture books for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?
Dingbat
2018-01-09 10:50:28 UTC
Are there picture books for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?

Here is a picture of the genre I have in mind:
2018-01-09 14:54:08 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Are there picture books for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?
https://i0.wp.com/blog.esl-languages.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dictionary.jpg
Yes. DK has a series of "visual dictionaries" with thousands of photographs labeled in English
and French, German, Japanese, Arabic, etc., and since they seem to use mostly the same
photographs throughout the series (with different pages for costume and such, as relevant
to the individual languages), so it might be possible to use them between other pairs of
languages. There's also a bigger one with about half a dozen (European) languages at once.
Christian Weisgerber
2018-01-09 15:59:04 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Are there picture books for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?
For German, there is the Duden Bildwörterbuch. The preface to my
copy from 1977 claims that the first edition in 1935 became a
world-wide success and that publishers in other countries created
corresponding pictorial dictionaries for all of the world's important
trade languages.

Nowadays there are two editions, one aimed at native speakers and
one aimed at foreign language learners:

* Duden - Das Bildwörterbuch
ISBN 978-3-411-04036-0

* Duden - Bildwörterbuch Deutsch als Fremdsprache
ISBN 978-3-411-72011-8

A web search for "visual dictionary" will quickly lead you to
Merriam-Webster's as well as various offspring, e.g.:
http://visual.merriam-webster.com/about-visual_international.php
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-01-09 17:59:05 UTC
Post by Christian Weisgerber
Post by Dingbat
Are there picture books for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?
At the level of books for children, there are lots and lots. Look up
books by Heather Amery at Amazon. She's far from being the only such
author, but she has books for English, French, Spanish, Italian,
German, Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese and doubtless others. When our
daughter was a child he had the English, French, Spanish and German
versions, and enjoyed them a lot.
athel
b***@ihug.co.nz
2018-01-09 19:39:20 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Are there picture books for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?
https://i0.wp.com/blog.esl-languages.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dictionary.jpg
The Oxford Picture Dictionaries are, I guess, aimed at people learning
English, but they have bilingual versions in quite a few languages, and
could easily be used in the other direction. Sample page:

Don't know how well they cover cuts of meat, though.
Mścisław Wojna-Bojewski
2018-01-11 09:54:26 UTC
There are lots and lots of them. Frankly, your question is on the same level as "are there houses with floors and walls". The DK Bilingual Visual Dictionaries are to be recommended.
António Marques
2018-01-11 14:40:03 UTC
Post by Mścisław Wojna-Bojewski
Post by Dingbat
Are there picture books for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?
https://i0.wp.com/blog.esl-languages.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dictionary.jpg
There are lots and lots of them. Frankly, your question is on the same
level as "are there houses with floors and walls".
That’s what I felt too, but I thought I must be missing something.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-01-11 16:20:06 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Are there picture books for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?
https://i0.wp.com/blog.esl-languages.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dictionary.jpg
There are lots and lots of them. Frankly, your question is on the same
level as "are there houses with floors and walls".
That’s what I felt too, but I thought I must be missing something.
There are houses without floors and/or walls.
(As I said at the top of the thread.)
António Marques
Those would de Selby regard as an in some way mitigated evil.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-01-12 09:29:37 UTC
Post by António Marques
Post by Dingbat
Are there picture books for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?
https://i0.wp.com/blog.esl-languages.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dictionary.jpg
There are lots and lots of them. Frankly, your question is on the same
level as "are there houses with floors and walls".
That’s what I felt too, but I thought I must be missing something.
There are houses without floors and/or walls.
Those would de Selby regard as an in some way mitigated evil.
It was a thoroughly silly remark. PTD seems to think that the original
question was "Are there books without pictures that are not intended
for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?". The answer is
certainly yes, but that wasn't what Dingbat wanted to know.
athel
Peter T. Daniels
2018-01-12 12:56:25 UTC
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by António Marques
Post by Dingbat
Are there picture books for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?
https://i0.wp.com/blog.esl-languages.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dictionary.jpg
There are lots and lots of them. Frankly, your question is on the same
level as "are there houses with floors and walls".
That’s what I felt too, but I thought I must be missing something.
There are houses without floors and/or walls.
Those would de Selby regard as an in some way mitigated evil.
It was a thoroughly silly remark. PTD seems to think that the original
question was "Are there books without pictures that are not intended
for acquiring vocabulary in foreign languages?". The answer is
certainly yes, but that wasn't what Dingbat wanted to know.
Lying asshole. If you're too stupid to read what you make stupid comments
about, then shut your shithole mouth (as our Fearless Leader would say).
Mścisław Wojna-Bojewski
I did not read your message.
Peter T. Daniels