Etymology of Titan
Add Reply
Marko Manninen
2018-01-24 06:41:09 UTC
I followed many spider strings with this word, from white clay and king to diminition titles and sun. What is your best quess what was and where came the root for the greek word Titan?
Arnaud Fournet
2018-01-24 10:37:33 UTC
Post by Marko Manninen
I followed many spider strings with this word, from white clay and king to diminition titles and sun. What is your best quess what was and where came the root for the greek word Titan?
My best guess for Greek Titan is based on Hurrian *teh- "to grow, increase", tea "many", tissan "a lot".
It's a reduplicated form: *ti-tah-n "geant".
This is consistent with a huge chunk of Greek mythology being of Hurrian origin.
More here:
https://www.academia.edu/34900748/Hurrian_-_origine_des_th%C3%A9onymes_grecs_-.pdf
A.
DKleinecke
2018-01-24 17:47:26 UTC
Post by Arnaud Fournet
Post by Marko Manninen
I followed many spider strings with this word, from white clay and king to diminition titles and sun. What is your best quess what was and where came the root for the greek word Titan?
My best guess for Greek Titan is based on Hurrian *teh- "to grow, increase", tea "many", tissan "a lot".
It's a reduplicated form: *ti-tah-n "geant".
This is consistent with a huge chunk of Greek mythology being of Hurrian origin.
https://www.academia.edu/34900748/Hurrian_-_origine_des_th%C3%A9onymes_grecs_-.pdf
A.
Academia sets up too many barriers for me to see your
paper but I imagine it to be on the right track.

My observations are based on Ugaritic remains. To me the
Greek gods seem like an evolved version of Ugarit's gods -
complete with a sacred mountain to the north. But most
(all?) the names have been changed which argues against a
borrowing from Hurrian.

The racial-linguistic situation on the upper Euphrates in
just-barely-historical times seems to me to have involved
more players than just Semites and Hurrians and I confess
to having no firm opinions about it.
DKleinecke
2018-01-25 21:28:41 UTC
Post by DKleinecke
Post by Arnaud Fournet
Post by Marko Manninen
[...]
My thanks to AF for sending me a copy of his paper.

Like all things Hurrian it is suggestive but hardly definitive.

IMO the questions involved will never be resolved. Too little
remains. I think we know too little about Hurrian religion
to make clear statements about borrowing. (This is one case
where more information might be recovered - if the capital of
Mitanni is ever discovered.) If the Greek pantheon picked up
many of its features from the religion of the upper Euphrates
the process through which that came about is still quite obscure.

I think AF believes pre-Greek Crete to be part of what one
might call Greater Hurrian. We may someday be able to read
Linear-A but we cannot today.
Arnaud Fournet
2018-01-25 23:58:11 UTC
Post by DKleinecke
Post by DKleinecke
Post by Arnaud Fournet
Post by Marko Manninen
[...]
Hittite tablets bear ample testimony to Hurrian religion.
A.
Post by DKleinecke
(This is one case
where more information might be recovered - if the capital of
Mitanni is ever discovered.)
that would indeed be marvelous, if we could dig it.
I pray for it to happen.
A.
Post by DKleinecke
If the Greek pantheon picked up
many of its features from the religion of the upper Euphrates
the process through which that came about is still quite obscure.
I think AF believes pre-Greek Crete to be part of what one
might call Greater Hurrian. We may someday be able to read
Linear-A but we cannot today.
I disagree, a number of Linear-A can *already* be read as Hurrian,
not all, but a good number of them, especially from Eastern Crete.
I'll write about this, this year 2018, after I'm thru with some other books.
At the same time, I think another number of Linear-A inscriptions are *not* Hurrian, but possibly written in a kind of para-Caucasic autochthonous substrate.
A.
DKleinecke
2018-01-26 00:47:03 UTC
Post by Arnaud Fournet
Hittite tablets bear ample testimony to Hurrian religion.
A.
Probably depends on one's understanding of "ample". IMO we
don't even have ample understanding of Hittite religion.
Italo
2018-01-24 23:24:24 UTC
Post by Marko Manninen
I followed many spider strings with this word, from white clay and king to diminition titles and sun. What is your best quess what was and where came the root for the greek word Titan?
Same root as titax "king" and titènè "queen". Hattic tittah / tete "great".
b o y c o t t a m e r i c a n p r o d u c t s
Franz Gnaedinger
2018-01-25 08:38:41 UTC
Post by Marko Manninen
I followed many spider strings with this word, from white clay and king to diminition titles and sun. What is your best quess what was and where came the root for the greek word Titan?
Uranus called his sons Titans meaning 'Strainers', Greek titaino 'I stretch,
strain'. In the light of Magdalenian, Titan titaino derive from the old
compound DhAG TON, the able ones DhAG make themselves heard TON - they make
themselves heard while they strain.

Seen philosophically, the Titans personified elements of nature and life
that make themselves heard or felt or noticed one way or another, for example
Themis incarnated divine Ordinance.

DhAG means able, good in the sense of able. Among the very many derivatives
are Greek theos and Latin deus (incompatible in PIE, well compatible in
Magdalenian), Sumerian dingir (with a nasal infix) announcing a deity,
and the supreme Celtic god Dagda, the good god in the sense of the able god
(Barry Cunliffe), from the emphatic doubling DhAG DhAG able able.

The Titans were children of Ouranos Uranus and Rhea.

AAR RAA NOS was the sky god of the Göbekli Tepe, he of air AAR and light RAA
with a mind NOS, visualized ex negtivo by a big limestone ring

He became the Greek sky god Ouranos, and the old sky god Varuna of the Indus
Valley. AC CA personified the Göbekli Tepe as hill where the earth AC and
sky CA are meeting, or where they had been separated from each other in the
act of creation. AC CA named the Indo-European earth goddess akka, the Hebrew
mother of all life Hawwa English Eve, and, in the inverse form of CA AC, the
Greek earth goddess Gaia.

Their children were Titans whom I locate in the PIE belt between the Göbekli
Tepe in the West and Central Asia in the East. Among them were Kronos Cronus
and Rhea; among their children Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades, gods of the first
Indo-European homeland on the banks of the Amu Darya, centered in the triangle
of Termez and Kunduz and Kurgan T'upe. Only that Zeus was known by then as
TYR who overcomes in the double sense of rule and give, TYR emphatic Middle
Helladic Sseyr (Phaistos Disc) Doric Sseus (Wilhelm Larfeld) Homeric Zeus.
Derivatives of TYR abound in geographical names of Central Asia.

The Titans were overcome in that region - overcome in the sense that life and
mining in the Wild Wild East were regulated, Zeus not only a judge but also
a mediator. History became mythology. The events around the first Indo-
European homeland were transposed into the confines of the Greek territory,
so that the stories became more gripping for a local audience. By and by
their historical core was forgotten, but luckily the symbols including the
telling names are so suggestive that their historical DNA survived for
millennia.

English history contains the word story. French histoire and Italian storia
mean both history and story, and so does German Geschichte, a noun to the
verb geschehen 'happen'.

People strain and become larger than life by applying their abilities and
make themselves heard, also in stories told about them, stories condensated
from generation to generation, often assuming cosmic dimensions. The Titans
were such people, on the way from the Göbekli Tepe to Central Asia, from
the Neolithic 1 to the Bronze Age.
Daud Deden
2018-01-28 22:46:59 UTC
http://www.seshat.ch/home/ouranos.JPG
[...]
---

As I said, tits tats & tots. taut(milkjugs full)->toddler strain/strength=drawn out tits/tetra(cow=c.u.dder), s.ag.e.
ample/mabul/xyuambuatl

Daud Deden
2018-01-25 18:48:29 UTC
Tits, tats & tots.