Does this article give the wrong explanation for the pronunciation of Slovenian potica
Dingbat
2017-05-26 13:37:44 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/24/pizza-or-potica-melania-trump-mistakes-pontiffs-question-during-trip-to-vatican

It says 'Potica – pronounced po-teet-sah'

Should it be po-tee-tsah?

After all, the pronunciation of bleacher wouldn't be explained as

bleet-sher.
Christian Weisgerber
2017-05-26 17:05:32 UTC
Post by Dingbat
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/24/pizza-or-potica-melania-trump-mistakes-pontiffs-question-during-trip-to-vatican
It says 'Potica – pronounced po-teet-sah'
Should it be po-tee-tsah?
I doubt that either one captures the vowels accurately.

Wikipidia:
The traditional nut bread served at Easter and Christmas in
Slovenia and still very popular in some parts of the United States
is called potica (po-TEET-sah).
The source given is www.slovenia.info, which looks like a tourism
site, but I can't find the pronunciation there, and it's unclear
if this is supposed to describe the original Slovenian or an
anglicized pronunciation.

I expect the Slovenian pronunciation to have /ts/ as a single
phoneme, so syllabified like po-ti-ca.
Post by Dingbat
After all, the pronunciation of bleacher wouldn't be explained as
bleet-sher.
Yes, English has /tʃ/ as a single phoneme, but not /ts/.

I wasn't aware of potica despite having been to Ljubljana twice,
but it looks like an unremarkable <German>Nusszopf</German> to me.
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
Peter T. Daniels
2017-05-26 21:08:08 UTC
Post by Dingbat
After all, the pronunciation of bleacher wouldn't be explained as
bleet-sher.
Yes, English has /tʃ/ as a single phoneme, but not /ts/.
I wasn't aware of potica despite having been to Ljubljana twice,
but it looks like an unremarkable <German>Nusszopf</German> to me.
But maybe not the sort of thing that would spring unbidden to the lips of an
Argentinian! From one who's lived in Italy for a while, "pizza" might indeed
be more expected. It was J2P2 who spoke zillions of languages, Slovenian likely
among them.