acronyms in arabic
retrosorter
2017-05-10 14:46:12 UTC
The Hebrew language has used acronyms since the Talmudic period whereas in languages such as English, German and Russian one only sees them starting in the 20th century. I'm not aware, however, if acronyms are found in Arabic prior to the 20th century. Perhaps someone versed in Arabic could let me know.
Yusuf B Gursey
2017-05-10 17:50:11 UTC
Post by retrosorter
The Hebrew language has used acronyms since the Talmudic period whereas in languages such as English, German and Russian one only sees them starting in the 20th century. I'm not aware, however, if acronyms are found in Arabic prior to the 20th century. Perhaps someone versed in Arabic could let me know.
There were no true acronyms in Classical Arabic. Occassionally
some pious phrases were abrreviated and a madddah was placed over
the letters but more usually the phrase was written in smaller
calligraphy, the words stacked one on top of the other. Some
verbs were derived from pious phrases such as basmala(t) to
say "bismilla:hirraHma:niraHi:m" and Hamdala(t) to say
al-Hamdulilla:h .

There are few acronyms in Modern Standard Arabic, mostly
confined to a few political organizatons.