Can "gh" have [s] sound in some language ? -- ( also "tu" -> [sh] )
Hen Hanna
2017-05-19 15:03:17 UTC
Can "gh" have [s] sound in some language ?

Can "g" have [s] sound in some language ?
Can "h" have [s] sound in some language ?

Can "tu" have [sh] sound in some language ?

Thank you! HH
Mścisław Wojna-Bojewski
Anything can sound like anything. It's all just a question of orthographical convention. For all I know, "xpgyrtzch" can have the sound of [skit] in some language.
Hen Hanna
2017-05-19 15:19:14 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Can "gh" have [s] sound in some language ?
Do some ppl (lispers?) substitute F by S ?

S->F seems more common: [Hey, boff!]

What are some common consonant-substituions by
sloppy prouncers?

Right now, I can only think of
lisping https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp
‎the Japanese L-R thing, and
[That's great!] --> [That's gweat!]

I'm not talking about [I don't shive a git], etc.

Thank you! HH
Hen Hanna
2017-05-19 19:17:20 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Post by Hen Hanna
Can "gh" have [s] sound in some language ?
Do some ppl (lispers?) substitute F by S ?
S->F seems more common: [Hey, boff!]
filky & foft as fummer fnow

thilky & thofth ath thummer thnow
Post by Hen Hanna
What are some common consonant-substituions by
sloppy prouncers?
Right now, I can only think of
lisping https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp
‎the Japanese L-R thing, and
[That's great!] --> [That's gweat!]
My fav. joke about the girl (on a date)
who kept saying
"I want to be weighed."
"I wanna be weighed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metathesis_(linguistics)
I'm still aksing & looking for a good example.
(substitutions, rather than reversals)

( to Ruud Harmsen, Thank you! ) HH

Ruud Harmsen
2017-05-19 16:48:29 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Can "gh" have [s] sound in some language ?
No. Dh can be gh and from there y in Irish and Scots, though.
Post by Hen Hanna
Can "g" have [s] sound in some language ?
No.
Post by Hen Hanna
Can "h" have [s] sound in some language ?
Ancient Greek and modern Spanish (Cuba, Argentine, Andalusia), but the
other way round.
Post by Hen Hanna
Can "tu" have [sh] sound in some language ?
No, but ti can, in English and Interlingua.
--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com