errors in (by) Skeat ? -- [Ghost etymologies] by Skeat?
Hen Hanna
2017-04-10 14:56:14 UTC
Is there a list of famous errors in (by) Skeat ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_word

i.o.w,
Is there a list of famous [Ghost etymologies] by Skeat?

Skeat links the word 'gas' to the Dutch word for 'ghost': GAS, an aeriform fluid (Dutch) The term ... .......

Joyce was surely aware that “gas” derived from the Dutch word for “ghost”, as claimed in Skeat’s dictionary, which he possessed).

--- which was what Skeat thought, but now we think:

From Dutch gas, a word coined by chemist Van Helmont. From Ancient Greek χάος ‎(kháos, “chasm, void”‎).

HH
Ruud Harmsen
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com
Ruud Harmsen
2017-04-14 14:10:47 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
Is there a list of famous errors in (by) Skeat ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_word
[...]
Post by Hen Hanna
Skeat links the word 'gas' to the Dutch word for 'ghost': GAS, an aeriform fluid (Dutch) The term ... .......
I wrote this http://rudhar.com/lingtics/spooky.htm, inspired by your
questions.
--
Ruud Harmsen, http://rudhar.com