nocturia
Hen Hanna
2017-04-06 00:38:01 UTC
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nocturia

Could someone tell me the word's 1st appearances in English?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturia

Nocturia (derived from Latin nox, night, and Greek [τα] ούρα, urine), also called nycturia (Greek νυκτουρία), is defined by the International Continence Society (ICS) as “the complaint that the individual has to wake at night one or more times for voiding (i.e. to urinate).”[1]

Its causes are varied and, in many patients, difficult to discern.[2]
b***@ihug.co.nz
2017-04-06 05:19:13 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nocturia
Could someone tell me the word's 1st appearances in English?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturia
Nocturia (derived from Latin nox, night, and Greek [τα] ούρα, urine), also called nycturia (Greek νυκτουρία), is defined by the International Continence Society (ICS) as “the complaint that the individual has to wake at night one or more times for voiding (i.e. to urinate).”[1]
Its causes are varied and, in many patients, difficult to discern.[2]
OED nocturia, n.
The condition of being aroused from sleep abnormally frequently by the
need to urinate.
1911 W. A. N. Dorland Illustr. Med. Dict. (ed. 6) 558/2 Nocturia, excessive urination at night.

Google Books looks as if it might have a number of 19th century occurrences,
but the first few were obvious misreads, and I can't be bothered looking
further.
Hen Hanna
2017-04-06 19:26:35 UTC
Post by b***@ihug.co.nz
Post by Hen Hanna
[...]
Thank you. Very helpful.

From a book> The most common clinical manifestations are nocturition enuresis and frequent micturition. Some symptoms, such as haematuria, pyuria and urodynia were also observed in a few cases. It is Yang Zizhuang (1962) who first reported a child ...

a 1870 book> Diese haben in der Regel auch im Schlafe einen bedeutend erregten geistigen Zustand, mit Muskelbewegungen, Unruhe, Sprechen im Schlafe verbunden, zu welchen Erscheinungen sich dann oft die Nocturition gesellt. Aber man begegnet ...
Post by b***@ihug.co.nz
These, as a rule, also have a markedly excited mental state in sleep, associated with muscular movements, restlessness, speech in sleep, to which phenomena the nocturition often adjoins. But you meet ...