Slang term ?
philo
2017-10-31 16:25:35 UTC
To my surprise no one of the Facebook group "Way With Words" could come
up with a plausible answer.

A woman mentioned that when she was a kid, her gym teacher got arrested.

When the kids asked "why?" they were told he was "stringing beans" and
they'd find out when they were older.

To me it was pretty obvious it was a sex crime but I cannot find that
term in any on-line slang dictionary.
b***@ihug.co.nz
2017-10-31 23:58:14 UTC
Post by philo
To my surprise no one of the Facebook group "Way With Words" could come
up with a plausible answer.
A woman mentioned that when she was a kid, her gym teacher got arrested.
When the kids asked "why?" they were told he was "stringing beans" and
they'd find out when they were older.
To me it was pretty obvious it was a sex crime but I cannot find that
term in any on-line slang dictionary.
After a visit to Green's Slang Dictionary, I'm none the wiser. It doesn't
seem to be a conventional expression, except in the literal sense having to do
with removing unwanted parts from vegetables.

"Bean" has a whole lot of possible meanings. Could it have had some reference
to Mexican-Americans? If not, then try the old favourites, sex (2(a) 'the penis', (b) 'the hymen', (c) 'the clitoris') and drugs (4 (a) 'a package of a drug'; (b)'any form of tablet').

"String" can mean "to work as a pimp, i.e. to run a string of prostitutes",
or like "string along": "to fool, to deceive someone, esp. over a drawn-out period of time; to tease".

Still doesn't add up to anything obviously right. Look forward to further
information.
philo
2017-11-01 13:03:25 UTC
Post by b***@ihug.co.nz
Post by philo
[...]
I still can't find anything but to shield a young schoolgirl from an
actual answer I think it must have been a sex crime.

If he robbed a bank, for example they would have given her a straight
answer.

Years ago, if my wife did not get a joke, I always had to remind her to
"think dirty."
Daud Deden
2017-11-01 14:15:44 UTC
When the kids asked "why?" they were told he was "stringing beans" and
they'd find out when they were older.
-

I've never heard of that, and wonder if it was a kid's misinterpretation that was passed along via whispered rumours. But what the presumed actual term was completely eludes me.

Perhaps 'stringbeans' referred to teens not yet full figured? A woman might use the term that way?
philo
2017-11-01 15:39:51 UTC
Post by philo
When the kids asked "why?" they were told he was "stringing beans" and
they'd find out when they were older.
-
I've never heard of that, and wonder if it was a kid's misinterpretation that was passed along via whispered rumours. But what the presumed actual term was completely eludes me.
Perhaps 'stringbeans' referred to teens not yet full figured? A woman might use the term that way?
I decided to just check a slang dictionary for both words individually.

"Stringing" is a form a masturbation

and "beans" can mean clitoris.

I guess there is a lot a don't know.