snapshot
Martin Str|mberg
2017-04-12 08:53:12 UTC
I'm not sure this is the right newsgroup. Please point me to the
correct one if you know.

"a snapshot".

I want the verb. Is it "to snapshot; yesterday snapshotted"?

OTOH, shot seems to be past of shoot. So is it "to snapshoot;
yesterday snapshot"?

OT{third}H, Oxford learner's dictionaries on the web tells me snap is
a verb. So is it "to snapshot; yesterday snappedshot"? (Hrmmm!)
MartinS
Horace LaBadie
You snap a shot of the man, and snapped a shot of the man.
Peter T. Daniels
2017-04-12 11:55:03 UTC
Post by Martin Str|mberg
I'm not sure this is the right newsgroup. Please point me to the
correct one if you know.
"a snapshot".
I want the verb. Is it "to snapshot; yesterday snapshotted"?
OTOH, shot seems to be past of shoot. So is it "to snapshoot;
yesterday snapshot"?
OT{third}H, Oxford learner's dictionaries on the web tells me snap is
a verb. So is it "to snapshot; yesterday snappedshot"? (Hrmmm!)
There is no verb "to snapshot." If you can't simply say "I took a picture," then
MAYBE you could try "I snapped a shot" and people MIGHT figure out what you meant.
Christian Weisgerber
2017-04-12 14:16:16 UTC
Post by Martin Str|mberg
I'm not sure this is the right newsgroup. Please point me to the
correct one if you know.
alt.usage.english may be better suited.
Post by Martin Str|mberg
"a snapshot".
That noun has at least two meanings. Quoting from Merriam-Webster:
(1) a casual photograph made typically by an amateur with a small
handheld camera
(2) an impression or view of something brief or transitory
e.g. a snapshot of life back then
Post by Martin Str|mberg
I want the verb.
The general, unobjectionable form is "to take a snapshot".
Post by Martin Str|mberg
Is it "to snapshot; yesterday snapshotted"?
OTOH, shot seems to be past of shoot. So is it "to snapshoot;
yesterday snapshot"?
OT{third}H, Oxford learner's dictionaries on the web tells me snap is
a verb. So is it "to snapshot; yesterday snappedshot"? (Hrmmm!)
You know, you can simply google for those forms.
Or even consult some online dictionaries.

Deriving a verb "to snapshot" seems like the thing that would arise
in jargon. For instance, I wouldn't bat an eye if somebody talked
about snapshotting a file system (a special meaning of (2) above).
And in fact, here's a quote from Wikipedia:
"Any file or directory within the file system can be snapshotted and the
system will implement a copy-on-write or point-in-time snapshot
dynamically based on which method is determined to be optimal for the
system."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapshot_(computer_storage)#File_systems

Meanwhile, the American Heritage Dictionary lists "snapshoot" as a
verb:
https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=snapshoot

Only "snappedshot" sounds unequivocally wrong to me, other than as
a play on worlds.
--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de