chain-link sentence -- "Martha has aspirin in industrial allotments."
Hen Hanna
2015-07-27 21:24:08 UTC
If Lewis Carroll (or Joyce) had tried a few of these,
more people would be interested in these. Alas.

If you come up with new examples, please let me (us) know.
I've seen a sample in Latin (I think).
I'd like to see a sample in German, French, Spanish. ....

Thanks, HH

________________

(2-letter overlap between successive words)

Martha has aspirin in industrial allotments.

Lineman Angelo loves escargot other erudite teammates eschew.

The hearse sealed Edwin inside; death thus ushered Edwin
into tomorrow.

Two women enter erotic icehouse, seduce celibate teacher.

___________________

"Top opera ran Angela Lansbury."

"The helicopter Ernest stole leaves escape perilous."

(from NPR and rec.puzzles) Challenge given on October 30, 1994:

This is a two-week challenge:

Take a look at this sentence: "Top opera ran Angela Lansbury." This is an
example of what I call a chain link sentence. The last two letters of
each word are the first two of the next. Here's another example: "The
helicopter Ernest stole leaves escape perilous." The challenge for the
next two weeks is to write your own chain link sentence. Entries will be
judged on sense, syntax, and cleverness. The winner will be announced in
two weeks (November 13, 1994).

If you know the answer to the challenge, send it, along with a daytime
phone number, to ***@npr.org. If you're the winner, you'll get to play
Puzzle on the air with Will. All entries must be received by the end of
business day Thursday, November 10th.
Hen Hanna
2015-08-06 21:03:57 UTC
"Martha has aspirin in industrial allotments."
would have been funny,
even before Martha Stewart's legal headaches started.

Here are a few more favorites from the original
NPR show 20 years ago.

(regular 2-letter overlap)

--- Can an anagram amuse senile lexicographers?

--- Wine never erases essential aloneness.

The latter could've been uttered by Philip Marlowe.

--- Like that dame Velma said,
"Wine never erases essential aloneness."

HH
Hen Hanna
2017-05-02 16:31:54 UTC
If you come up with new examples, please let me (us) know.
I'd ESP. like to see samples in German, French, Spanish. ....

perh. easier with 1-letter overlap.

Why, you undertake entertaining game: enchain 'n needle 'em mots?
Hen Hanna
2017-05-02 19:12:42 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
If Lewis Carroll (or Joyce) had tried a few of these,
more people would be interested in these. Alas.
If you come up with new examples, please let me (us) know.
I've seen a sample in Latin (I think).
I'd like to see a sample in German, French, Spanish. ....
Thanks, HH
________________
(2-letter overlap between successive words)
Martha has aspirin in industrial allotments.
Lineman Angelo loves escargot other erudite teammates eschew.
The hearse sealed Edwin inside; death thus ushered Edwin
into tomorrow.
Two women enter erotic icehouse, seduce celibate teacher.
___________________
"Top opera ran Angela Lansbury."
"The helicopter Ernest stole leaves escape perilous."
perh. easier with 1-letter overlap.
Why, you undertake entertaining game: enchain 'n needle 'em mots?
Lipogram ( Liposuction ? ) and [ the pendulum effect ]

How hard is it? -- writing [and avoiding] that most
common ... um ... "thing" in our, ... [mumbling] ... "font-pool". Font-pool -- that's
awkward, but you know what I'm talking about: th' 26 things (from A
to Z) that add up to our writing output. It's known as [Lipogram],
and th' word is difficult and odd -- Think [Liposuction]! Lipogram
is writing with our [fat]? How is that? Odd. Mighty odd. Most odd.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Return-to the entire Alphabet set! Phew! Great relief!
Aren't-I overdoing the other direction? The pendulum effect?

Bothers me when someone tells me, regarding Chain-linked
sentences: "Three-letter-overlap's overly complicated and
One-letter-overlap's overly easy."

Makes me yell: --- Excuse me, mister? Overly easy?
Prove't mister: give me one entire passage, tale, joke, riddle, story-telling, etc. -- while observing the rule: one-letter-overlap between successive terms!

More Later! HH
Hen Hanna
2017-05-05 19:20:06 UTC
Post by Hen Hanna
If Lewis Carroll (or Joyce) had tried a few of these,
more people would be interested in these. Alas.
If you come up with new examples, please let me (us) know.
I've seen a sample in Latin (I think).
I'd like to see a sample in German, French, Spanish. ....
Thanks, HH
________________
(2-letter overlap between successive words)
Martha has aspirin in industrial allotments.
Lineman Angelo loves escargot other erudite teammates eschew.
The hearse sealed Edwin inside; death thus ushered Edwin
into tomorrow.
Two women enter erotic icehouse, seduce celibate teacher.
___________________
"Top opera ran Angela Lansbury."
"The helicopter Ernest stole leaves escape perilous."
Why, you undertake entertaining game: enchain 'n needle 'em mots?

Chain-link knots successively yield ....

(2-letter overlap)
--- Can an anagram amuse senile lexicographers?
--- Wine never erases essential aloneness.

(1-letter overlap seems just as (un)interesting to a casual reader.)

A few days ago, I wanted to email wugi and ask --
Could you try a few of these in German (or Duits-taal) or Dutch?

HH